Xiaomi is a Chinese smartphone manufacturer that is famous for its medium-ranged smartphones that are affordable and quite famous in the markets of countries where the majority of the population are not that familiar with smartphones and technology. Still, on their way to make their way towards information technology. Even if they are familiar with smartphones, the majority prefer a phone that costs less as compared to the high-end and latest flagship firmware of the top smartphones brands like Apple, Samsung and Google Pixel. If you have a Xiaomi device, either a Redmi or Mi. In this guide, we will cover all the methods that are available and can be used to install stock firmware on Redmi phones.
Redmi smartphones are running Android AOSP named as MIUI. Although, it’s built on Android yet the user interface is quite different. In 2019, Redmi finally parted ways from Xiaomi and emerging as the sub-brand of Xiaomi. The naming convention of Redmi phones sometimes gets confusing because the same models of Redmi phones have various names, each name specific to a region or a country. The series of Redmi series that we are going to cover in this guide are as follows:
- Redmi 9
- Redmi K including K30 Pro POCO F2 Pro
- Mi 9T Also known as Redmi K20
- Redmi Note series
- X series also known as Redmi X
- Redmi TV
The latest Redmi high-end smartphone is Redmi Note 10 Pro. It has a 6.67″ AMOLED DotDisplay. The phone is running in MIUI 12 based on Android 11. The backside of the smartphone features a 108MP and a couple of small cameras. Whereas, the front side features a 16MP camera. The battery size is amazing. Note 10 Pro has a 5020 mAh battery.
The need to flash stock firmware on Xiaomi Redmi?
There are multiple factors that come into play while determining if you need to install stock firmware on your Android device. First is if your phone is rooted and you want to go back to stock. Second, if your phone fails to boot the operations system and its stuck at bootloop at startup. Also, if you someday installed custom firmware and now you want to install stock firmware on a Redmi phone.
Now let’s move on to the guides to install stock firmware on Redmi phones. There are three methods that can be used to flash firmware or recovery on a Redmi phone. The first method is via the settings of your phone. The second method uses a tool that can be used to flash any kind of firmware on Xiaomi or Redmi phones. The last method is via TWRP recovery, if it’s already installed on your phone.
Before we move on to the guides below, we would need some prerequisites:
- First of all, you will have to download and install Redmi USB drivers respective to the model of your phone. Download the USB drivers on your Windows PC and install them. For flashtool, that is the second method you will need Qualcomm Driver. For the ADB connection, that is method 4, you will need an ADB driver. Download the USB drivers from here. The USB drivers are required for your phone to be recognised by your computer. If your phone is not recognised by the computer, the USB drivers are missing.
- Secondly, you will need the appropriate firmware respective to the phone model that you want to download on install on your Redmi phone. Download the firmware according to your phone model from here.
- Finally, use this guide to unlock the bootloader of your Redmi phone.
Flash Stock firmware via Update Option in Settings:
In this method, we will download the appropriate firmware from the source mentioned in the prerequisite and flash it on our redmi phone. Make sure you download the firmware according to your phone model.
- Once you have downloaded the appropriate firmware for your phone.
- Move it to a folder called Downloaded_rom in your internal storage or SDcard.
- Now in the Settings Menu of your Redmi phone. Go to About Phone and then select System Update.
- Now click on the three dots on the upper right side of the screen.
- Tap on the option “Choose Update Package“.
- Now, select the firmware that you downloaded and moved to internal storage
- Select OK. Now your phone will install stock firmware and reboot.
I hope this guide worked for you. If you have any questions feel free to ask them.
Install stock firmware on Redmi via Xiaomi Flash Tool:
There is a universal tool for Xiaomi devices that can be used to flash stock firmware on Redmi phones. It works for all Xiaomi devices including Mi.
- This method requires a computer and Xiaomi Flash tool. You can download the tool from here.
- Once you have downloaded and installed the tool on your Windows PC.
- Put your Redmi phone into Fastboot mode via the following commands:
- Power off your phone.
- Once its off, press and hold the power button and volume down button simultaneously.
- Release the buttons when you see Fastboot on the screen.
- Now connect your phone to your PC using a USB data cable.
- Now on your PC, download and extract the zip file of firmware on your computer.
- On Xiaomi Flash Tool. Press Select and Select the unzipped firmware folder.
- Now select your phone which will be displayed in the column. (The name of your phone won’t be mentioned but the port number).
- On the bottom right corner of the screen you will see three options:
- Clean All: This will flash stock firmware on Xiaomi phone. It will also delete all the data present on your phone but leave the bootloader to unlocked state.
- Save User Data: This option will not wipe the data present on your phone while installing the stock firmware on Redmi.
- Clean all and lock: This option will delete all the data present on your phone, flash stock firmware and lock the bootloader to its locked state after flashing.
- You can select the “Clean all and Lock” option.
- Once everything is good to go. Click on Flash.
- Might take a few minutes, once done you will see the “Success” indication on the tool.
- Once the flashing is successful your phone will boot.
This is the most recommended and efficient way to install stock firmware on Redmi devices. If there is some confusion or queries, get back to us.
Install stock firmware on Xiaomi Redmi via TWRP Recovery:
The last option is to use TWRP recovery. In this method, you have to have your Xiaomi phone rooted and a custom recovery like TWRP installed on it. If this is all prechecked. Move on to the guide below.
- First, you need to download and move the firmware to the internal storage or SD card of your phone.
- Now boot into Recovery mode of your Xiaomi phone:
- Turn off your phone.
- Once its off, press and hold Power and Volume Up button.
- First, we will wipe the phone and then flash the firmware.
- So first, select Wipe and select the Advanced Wipe option.
- Once the factory reset is performed. Go back to the TWRP recovery menu.
- Select Install, now navigate and select the downloaded firmware.
- After selecting the firmware, swipe on the screen to flash the firmware.
- Now the firmware will be flashed on your phone. Once its done, restart your phone by selecting the “Reboot System” option.
That’s all on how to install stock firmware on Redmi. If you have any reservations about the process or any questions about the guides above. Feel free to drop them in the comments or contact us.