Google Pixel series is the first Android smartphones to get all the latest updates from Google. Either it is a security update or fully upgraded firmware. Now as we are looking forward to the latest and new version of Android for Google Pixel. If you can not wait for the official release that would be later this year. You can install Android 12 on Google Pixel via ADB commands or Fastboot. In this guide, we will cover both methods.
Google has finally released the Android 12 developer preview to the public for beta testing. Initially, the developer preview version is only available to download if you signed up for the beta program. If you are in the beta testing program of Android 12, you would be getting regular updates of Android 12. Where you can test the operating system send the logs and report the bugs to the developers. So they can make the operating system seamless and bugfree.
Disclaimer: The OS that we are going to flash using this guide is Developer Preview not the official release of Android 12. You might come across some bugs and you might not be able to use it as your daily driver.
Features of Android 12:
The Android 12 comes with new and improved features. Google has improved haptic feedback along with notifications. Alongside, the following are some mention-worthy features that are introduced in the new operating system.
- In Android 12, you can easily share Wi-Fi credentials with other Android users using the Android Nearby Share feature.
- Introduction of new and cool theme-based wallpapers. Once you have selected a specific wallpaper. The colour scheme of the whole interface is adapted to wallpaper. Even the icons are according to the selected theme. It gives a very smooth and consistent scheme of the whole interface.
- Now after taking screenshots, you can add text, doodle on them or add stickers according to your like and dislike.
- Furthermore, now the Android operating system supports AVIF format pictures. Which is known for small size yet high-quality pictures.
Install Android 12 on Google Pixel via ADB:
Moving on to the guide, we are going to use two methods that can be used to flash Android 12 on Google Pixel. First, we are going to talk about the method that uses ADB commands to install Android 12 on Google Pixel.
This guide works on Google Pixel 3, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a and Pixel 5.
Now moving on to the guide. First of all, you need to undergo some pre-requisites:
- As we going to use ADB commands to install Android 12 on Google Pixel by flashing OTA files. You need to install ADB on your Windows or macOS operating system. You can use this guide to download and install ADB on your computer.
- Secondly, you will have to download the OTA update respective to your Pixel model from this link. Remember, as we are sideloading the firmware via ADB. You need to download the file under the OTA heading from the link above.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Pixel:
- Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number seven times to enable Developer Options, and then navigate to Settings > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Connect your Pixel Device with your computer using Data Cable. If the prompts come on the screen of your phone Allow it to connect to your computer.
Now we are done with prerequisites its time to install the Android 12 Developer Preview on Pixel:
- First of all, download the OTA package downloaded from the prerequisites above and move it to the folder where ADB is located.
- Now open the terminal window ( 1. press ALT + D 2. write CMD 3. Press Enter) in the same folder and enter the following command:
adb reboot recovery
- After a reboot, you will see an Android figure in the background. Press and hold the Power key. Now, while holding down the Power key, press the Volume Up key once and then release the Power key.
- Now your phone will be in the recovery menu.
- In the recovery mode, now using the volume buttons and power button navigate and select “Apply Update from ADB”
- On the terminal of your computer, run the following command.
- Now on the screen, you will see the serial number of your phone with sideload written next to it. It shows that your phone is connected in sideload mode with your computer.
- On the terminal, enter the following command:
adb sideload "filename".zip
- (for ease, you can rename the downloaded OTA file and rename it to an easier text. Instead of the filename, you have to enter the name of the file downloaded for flashing from the OTA subheading)
- Now the Android 12 Download Preview will be flashed on your Pixel phone. Once the process is complete. Select the “Reboot System Now” command from the recovery menu.
Install Android 12 on Pixel via Fastboot (Full factory image)
You can install Android 12 on Google Pixel phone via flashing factory image if your bootloader is unlocked. It usually deletes all the data present in your phone but we will cover an extra step that can save the data present in your phone while flashing the factory image.
From the prerequisites of method one. You need to follow all of them. You need to install fastboot from the linked guide. Also, you need to enable USB debugging mode. Furthermore, this time instead of downloading the OTA file, you need to download the factory image from the link above.
- First of all, extract the contents of the .zip file (factory image) and move the files to the ADB and fastboot folder.
- Usually, the process is to flash the flash-sh.sh script file. Now if you want to save the data that is present in your Google Pixel. Open the flash-all.sh file (macOS) (flash-all.bat file if you are using Windows) using notepad or any text editor.
- Once the file is open locate and remove the -w flag in the fastboot update command. It will prevent deleting the data present on your phone. Although, while flashing the factory image, it is recommended to factory reset the phone. If you don’t care about the data and its all backed up on your Gmail/Google account you don’t need to make any changes in the file.
- Connect your phone to your computer via a USB data cable.
- Now on your computer, in ADB and fastboot folder. Open terminal ( 1. press ALT + D 2. write CMD 3. Press Enter) and enter the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now your phone will boot into fastboot mode.
- On your computer write the following command
- It will run the flash-all.sh on your MAC OS computer. If you are running a windows computer. Click and run the flash-all.bat file. It is an executable file.
- Wait for the phone to flash the factory image. With a boot, your phone will start into Android 12.
Also check out: How to install stock firmware on Google Pixel Smartphones.
That’s all on how to install Android 12 on Google Pixel via ADB and fastboot. If you have any questions or queries, feel free to write to us or drop a comment below. Do let us know how you find the all-new Android 12 on Pixel. What were your expectations and what is reality? Did the new operating system come up to your expectations? If you were expecting some features in the latest operating system and they are still not introduced. We are here to hear it all. Happy Flashing .. !