Samsung is renowned worldwide for its exquisite Note series. The famous Note 9 was released in August last week. The design, features and specs ruled the heart of many. Nevertheless, all these fancy Note series smartphones come with a hefty price tag. Some say the money spent is worth the phone, while I think one can get almost the same phones at a lot less price. Well, the opinions differentiate. If you have already got a Note 9. You tried to flash a custom ROM or rooted your phone. Now you want to go back to stock ONE UI OS of Samsung. You can use this guide to install stock firmware on Note 9 using either the ODIN or the smart switch.
Android and Samsung are loved in the tech community as they let you customise and modify the visible look and underlying features. This can be done either by rooting Note 9 or by flashing a custom ROM. Samsung smartphones come with unlocked bootloaders for the very same purpose. It lets you mess around with the features. If you make a wrong turn, there is always a U-turn via flashing the stock firmware. Not only this, even if you are using the Note 9 casually and because of some reason the firmware is corrupted or no longer loads at the boot. This guide can also help you in those situations.
In this guide, we will deal with two methods that can be used to install stock firmware on Note 9. You can either do it with smart switch or with ODIN. If you have MAC, you can only use smart switch as ODIN is not supported by MAC OSX.
How to install stock firmware on Note 9 using Smart switch:
Smart switch is the easy way around, it is recommended to the non-tech people. As it is easy to use software which lets you easily install the firmware by following the on-screen instructions. It has its limitations as well. At times, your phone is not detected by your PC. Other times, your phone won’t pass by the boot screen, or the Samsung logo at the startup. In those cases, smart switch might not work. The only solution is ODIN. If you want to go stock, or there are some software issues on your Note 9. Which is not solved by the factory reset or wiping cache. Then smart switch can be handy to install stock firmware on Note 9.
The smart switch works on both Windows OS and MAC OS. You can also use it to make a complete backup of your phone on your PC. Once you have flashed the firmware, you can also use it to restore the backup on your phone.
Let’s move on to the guide, follow the step to step guide below in order to install stock firmware on your Note 9:
- First of all, you need to download smartswitch on your Windows PC or MAC using this website.
- Now Install the software and open it up on your PC.
- Next step is to connect your phone with your PC using the original data cable of Samsung.
- On the screen, you will see all the information about your Galaxy Note 9.
- Now, click on “More“. You can find it on the top right corner of smart switch.
- Select “Emergency Software Recovery“.
- The smart switch will itself find the most appropriate OS or firmware for your Note 9.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until the firmware is installed.
Note: Keep your phone connected with the PC at all times, while the process is running.
Once the new firmware is installed on Note 9. Your phone will reboot. You can either set it up as a new phone or you can restore a backup from the smart switch.
If for some reasons, the smart switch does not help. You can always rely on ODIN. Which will be covered in the method below.
How to install stock firmware on Note 9 using ODIN:
Well, ODIN exists from the days of Galaxy S2 and it still works efficiently. It can be used to root Samsung smartphones, install custom or stock firmware or recoveries. So, if your phone gets sick to some great extent where it is not even moving past the start-up screen. You only saviour can be ODIN. It is official software by Samsung for flashing firmware and recoveries on its devices. So you need not to worry. It can be a little complicated for people who are very non-tech. Another thing, it only works for Windows OS. If you have Linux OS or MAX OSX. You might have to borrow a Windows PC from a friend or install windows in a virtual environment on your MAC.
- Make sure your phone is charged.
- Turn on USB Debugging on your Note 9
- Go to Settings -> About Device -> Tap on Build number 7 times.
- Now Go back to Settings -> Developer Options -> Turn on USB debugging.
- Download and install Samsung drivers for PC.
- Download the latest stock firmware for Samsung Galaxy Note 9 or Note10+ from Sammobile.
Note: Downloading the appropriate firmware is very important. If your phone is carrier free. Like its not branded with any carrier like T-Mobile or Verizon. You can easily download any carrier-free firmware with origin of your country for your phone from the Sammobile. If your phone is carrier locked, you will have to download the specific firmware for that firmware. Also, some carrier-locked phones are not easy to install firmware into. The process is different for those phones.
Let’s move on to the step to step guide on how to install stock firmware on Note 9:
- First of all, you need to turn off your Note 9 and get into download mode.
- In order to get into download mode press and hold Volume Down, Bixby button and Power Button until you see the warning. Once you see the warning. Press volume up button to continue.
- On your PC, open ODIN and connect your phone using a USB data cable. You will see “Added” in the logs of ODIN.
- You will see your phone has a connection with your PC. The ID:COM on ODIN will change to blue. (If the color didn’t change, then the PC has failed to recognize your phone. Above all, make sure you have installed the right drivers and the drivers were installed successfully. Sometimes the fault lies in the USB cable)
- In ODIN, you will see several tabs and you will have to select files respective to each tab. Click on CP and locate and select the CP file from the extracted firmware. In the same vein, click on AP and select the file with AP in the name. Similarly, add BL file in the BL tab.
- If you want to factory reset while you install stock firmware on Note 9. Select CSC file in CSC file. Otherwise, load the HOME_CSC instead.
- Make sure F.Reset.Time and Auto-Reboot option are checked in the ODIN. Meanwhile, if there is any other option checked. Uncheck it.
- Finally, when everything is ready, press the “Start” button. The whole process will take around 5-9 Minutes. Once done, your phone will reboot.
Note: Do NOT disconnect your Note 9 from your PC while the flashing is in process. Even if it is stuck at some point. Until you get in logs that the process is finished or your phone reboots itself after successful firmware flashing. If you disconnect your phone in the middle of flashing, you might end up bricking your phone.
Questions or Follow up?
If you have any confusions regarding the guide above on how to install stock firmware on Note 9. Or you are stuck at some point. Instead of doing hit and trail ask me in the comments or write to me on facebook. I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you want to add more to this guide, which I missed. Your opinion and feedback is always welcome.
Best of luck with the flashing.