Google Play services are essential for many apps to run, not only Google apps but there are other apps as well that are dependent upon Google Play services. Although, these services are pre-installed on Android devices. There are some phone companies like Huawei phones with Chinese firmware that does not have them. You have to install them manually, now the problem is how to identify the version and install correct Google play services on your Android device. In this guide, we will cover everything that is required to make sure you download and install the right version on your phone.
The Chinese government has banned a number of social media channels like Facebook and Twitter due to security reasons, they have a concern about data privacy and they believe that intelligence has access to all the data on social media accounts. So they have banned most of them in their country including Google play store, other Google apps, and Google Play services. If you have got your phone from China, you might not have Google apps and services on your phone.
Apart from government restrictions, there are also some firmwares that do not have preinstalled Gapps, you have to manually flash the Gapps (Google Apps) on your Android phone or device.
Guide to Identify and Install correct Google Play Services on Android Device:
I can not give you a specific version of Google Play Services according to your phone, as each month or so, Google regularly releases new versions of Google Play services and then the old one does not work on your Android phone. So you need to figure out yourself which version is supported for your device. If you have issues in identifying the correct version of Google Play services for your phone, you can contact me on Facebook or use the contact us form below to reach out to me. I will try my best to help you out.
In this guide, I will lead you to the most renowned repository of Google Play services from where you can download the correct version of Google Play services for your phone.
Guide to Identify, download and install correct Google Play Services on Android devices that do not have them preinstalled:
First, you need to know a few things about your Android phone:
- It is an Android OS version. For example, it is running on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. You can see this by going into Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information.
- You also need to know the Architecture of your phone. Here is a full guide that will help you to figure out the Architecture of your phone. For example Arm or Arm64.
- There is another thing that you need to know before downloading Google Play Store APK that is DPI. Although it is not important, you can install any APK with universal DPI or noDPI. Also, you can use the above guide that includes an app Droid info which helps you figure out DPI of your phone.
Once you have all this information. Go to this link, which is a world-famous and secure repository of Google Play Services and identify the correct APK for your phone.
In the above repository, you need to consider the following things before downloading any APK. Before download see the first three numbers in the parenthesis “()” in the file name of each Google Play Services APK.
- The first number represents the Android version your phone is running on.
- 0 for Android <5.0
- 2 for Android 5.0 and 5.1 starting with Play Services v8
- 4 for Android 5.0, 5.1 and Android 6.0 and above.
- 5 for Android Wear
- 7 for Android 5.0
- 8 for Android TV
- 9 for Android 8.0+
- The second number represents your phone architecture i.e ARM or ARM64 etc.
- 1 for armeabi
- 3 for armeabi-v7a
- 4 for arm64-v8a
- 5 for MIPS
- 7 for x86
- 8 for x86_64
- The third number represents dpi of the APK file.
- 0 for universal nodpi
- 2 for 160
- 4 for 240
- 6 for 320
- 8 for 480
For example, if you have Huawei Honor 4C that runs on Android 6.0.1. You will download Google Play Services APK with code (440).
Note: If you don’t really understand how to install the correct version of Google Play Services for your phone. Just head on to the website linked above, next to each google play services APK you will see all the information about that APK like which Android version it is suitable for and what dpi it supports.
How to install Google Play Services on your Android Phone:
Once you have downloaded the correct Google Play Services file, now it is the time to install it.
- First of all, enable “Unknown Sources” from the Security settings of your phone.
- On your phone: Go-to Settings -> Advanced Settings ->Security ->Enable Download from Unknown Sources. (The settings menu where you can find this feature might differ respective to the phone model and make)
If you see a message warning that ‘this type of file can harm your device.’ You can ignore it (it is safe) and tap OK.
- Now locate the downloaded Google Play Services APK file using the file manager on your phone.
- Open the APK file and give it permissions to install on your phone.
Once installed all the apps dependent on Google Play Services like Snapchat and Maps will work fine on your phone. If you have issues regarding how to identify, download and install correct Google Play services on your Android phone, feel free to contact me. I will try my best to help you out.