Failed to Mount Cache (Invalid Argument)

A year or two back, in the good old days, I was trying to wipe cache partition of my girlfriend’s Nexus 5. I powered off the phone as it was taking too long to clear cache partition. So when I tried to reboot the phone. It got stuck on the start screen where the logo kept on loading, but the phone won’t start. It took me a while to figure out its fix. When I went back to the recovery menu. There I saw this error failed to mount cache (Invalid Argument). I spend some time looking for its fix and it the end I was successful. If you are facing the same issue then try out the below guide to fix failed to mount cache error.

Fix Failed to Mount Cache (Invalid Argument) error on Android Phone:

When this error (Failed to mount cache) occurred on my girlfriend’s LG Nexus 5. I didn’t have any clue on how to fix it. I tried a lot of things, one thing I didn’t try was factory reset as it would have deleted all her data. She didn’t even have a backup of the data, so factory reset wasn’t an option. It had all our memories and messages that we couldn’t afford to lose. I came across failed to mount cache error while trying to wipe cache partition of her nexus phone. So I was sure there must be some issue with the cache formatting.

In order to fix failed to mount cache issue, you have to go to recovery menu and mount system and then clear cache again. It will fix the issue.

If you don’t know how to do that. Follow the step to step guide below to fix failed to mount cache invalid argument error:

Note: The following guide won’t erase your data from the phone. So don’t worry about losing your pictures and contacts while trying out the fix below.

• First of all, you will have to get into the recovery menu from the boot menu.
  • Press and hold volume down and power button.
  • A screen will appear with Android on the back and “Start” written inside the box which is pointing towards the power button.
  • Now Press Volume down button twice. It will show the recovery menu inside the box.
  • Press the power button to select.
  • Now your phone will reboot and it will show you an Android icon on the back.
  • Press and hold the Power button and tap on Volume Up button.
  • Now you will see the recovery menu. On the bottom of the screen, you will see this error Failed to Mount Cache (invalid argument)
  • Now use volume buttons to navigate to Mount System/Cache. Press the power button to select it.
  • Now navigate to Wipe Cache Partition and press power button.
  • Wait for a while it will wipe your cache partition. Even if it fails to clear cache partition. you will be good to go.

Note: This step can take up to 30 minutes depending on your phone. So just hold your horses and let it clear wipe partition.

• Now select the option Reboot System Now” from the same screen.

Note: If your phone fails to clear cache again. Just mount system/cache and reboot system. It will work out.

Update (July 7th,2016): I used the above guide to fix my phone when I had the same error. If it is not working for you then you should try flashing stock firmware/software on your phone:

Your phone will reboot and it will start working properly. I have personally used this method to fix failed to mount cache partition on my Nexus 5. I really hope this works for you guys as well.

I personally had this issue on LG Nexus 5. I have seen many people asking me how to fix failed to mount cache error in a number of different Android devices like ASUS and Samsung which I have no clue about. You guys can try the guide above if it didn’t work and your phone is still bricked then try to flash stock firmware on your phone. There are cases when this error arises because of some hardware issue, then you can not fix it by tweaking the software or operating system.

If you have any issue or query regarding how to fix failed to mount cache. Let me know in the comments. If this guide fixed the error. Don’t forget to drop feedback in the comments below. If you know of some other method that can be helpful in fixing this issue, please let us know so we can update the guide.

Notify of
guest

77 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
yashodhan amare
yashodhan amare
4 years ago

i m facing same issue , while clearing cache partition my phone get stuck & then i restarted the phone. But phone was not getting on & stuck on cyanogen welcome screen. ( using oneplusone ) then i tried as u guided & still not resolved Actuually i am not able mount cache partition. i am using twrp 3.0.0-0 recovery , in which i selected mount option — then i tried to select cache partition but its not selecting.

what could be issue ??

abhinav kumar
abhinav kumar
3 years ago

I have ZenFone 2 laser while hard reset I’m getting an error E:failed to mount/asdf(invalid argument)
How do I fix it?

Javeria Ali
Javeria Ali
3 years ago

Asalam o aliqum, Sir,My S6 edge is completely dead,it does not respond even after pressing volume down + power keys or volume up+home+power keys,it does not respond,the screen is totally black. It just stopped working when I was using it,at first it showed its light but after it no lights appeared and not a single response and is not even effected when I connect it to Laptop via Usb cable nor do the laptop shows that any device is attached.My all important works are stored in it,I am so depressed,I can’t even reboot it and have to go to Samsung… Read more »

conrad
conrad
Reply to  Javeria Ali

Hi Javeria Ali, there is a company in germany. they do data recovery from dead smartphones like your s6 edge. you can contact them. they will take a look for free. recovery costs are around 200- 500$. I just write that because you said ” ma all important works are stored on it.
CBL is able to get all the data from internal Data chip of s6 /s6 edge

I hope a link is ok in this case.

JAI
JAI
3 years ago

exactly my problem—I can only select oem and sdcard to mount in twrp

yashodhan amare
yashodhan amare
4 years ago

Also i dont want loose my data , is there is any option to copy this data to external device ??

can i mount usb device in recovery mode using some linux commands & copy my phone data into that ??

Kanchi Gupta
Kanchi Gupta
3 years ago

Hey! Really desperate here…so well I put my sisters phone on update and well it was updating to 6.0.1 so ofcourse the error thing happened and well I did do all the steps you put in and it still didn’t exit the bootloop….the phones status is locked and it was never really connected to my laptop so the drivers and settings aren’t installed. It is almost impossible to ADB the update and fix it and THE DATA CAN ABSOLUTELY NOT BE LOST. Do you see any other way? (not sure if the first time I posted this it did really… Read more »

Nathan
Nathan
4 years ago

First of all thank you for taking the time to post this. I went through all your steps and I am stuck on the last one. It just gets stuck on the formatting /cache message at the bottom of the screen and I cant get out. I have left it for half an hour but it does not leave the screen! WAIT WAIT… it just completed and gave me the option to reboot while I was writing this! Looks like its fixed. Thanks man! you are the best! No idea why the format took half an hour but seems to… Read more »

Anonymous
Anonymous
4 years ago

Did not work for me. Failed to clear cache

Abadi
Abadi
4 years ago

i have same problem. I tried your procedure,but unfortunately didn’t solve it. Same issue still existing

Brar
Brar
4 years ago

1st of all thanks for this post..
I followed your procedure but problem not solved.
When I click on mount system cache it give same error failed to.mount cache..
Then I select wipe cache then also I give same error failed to mount cache.. Then I select reboot from same menu.. Phone get restart but my problem is not solved it get stucked in logo.

Plzzz help me

Willow
Willow
Reply to  Brar

Hey, I was like oh this doesn’t work for me either. But as I was searching or answers it worked. Just give it time after you reach the final step. It may say it has failed and it will look as if nothing has changed, but give it time and it eventually gives you the option to restart your phone.

Natalia

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH… THIS SOLUTION WORKED OUT FOR ME

Alex
Alex
4 years ago

I have the same issue, i followed your instructions and the problem is remained, the phone it get stuck in the animation(flying dots) screen I charged my Nexus 5 (which is not rooted) when I was going to turn it on it got stuck in the “flying dots” animation. it does not work. I also tried going into recovery mode and doing a wipe cache partition, no result as well. However, when going to the recovery mode, there is the following message at the bottom of the screen: E: failed to mount /cache (invalid argument) E: can’t mount /cache/recovery/log E:… Read more »

Ali
Ali
Reply to  Alex

Hey bro
I Have Exactly the same problem as you have.
I’m so confused what has happened to my phone…
My Phone Is Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3
I Installed the Official 4.4.2 KitKat Android using Odin again. But The Problem Still Remained.
Wipe Cache Partition is just 2 secs for me not 30 minutes… everything it shows are Errors! Failed to mound /cache …. (Red Font) and Cache Wipe Complete. (Yellow Font) But nothing happened….

Pedro Santos
Pedro Santos
Reply to  Alex

I have the exact same issue on my Nexus 7 2013. Tried to wipe cache and restore factory settings and all I get is the same thing you get (below). The guys at ubrokeifix were not able to fix it. Is there any other way such as popping it open and replace the flash memory as it seems the partition table might be corrupt (I don’t know). Google discontinued the Nexus 7 and there are only rumors about a replacement. Any help? – Wiping data… Formatting / data… E: failed to mount / cache (Invalid argument) Formatting / cache… E:… Read more »

Anonymous
Anonymous
4 years ago

restart your mobile and wait

happy singh
4 years ago

I m facing the same issue on my karbonn sparkle v when i was updating my system by ota 6.0 to 6.0.1 marshmallow. it couldn’t be updated completely and all of the sudden it stopped. and thereafter, i did the wipe cache partition then there are the following messages at the bottom of the screen: E: failed to mount /cache (invalid argument) E: can’t mount /cache/recovery/log E: can’t open /cache/recovery/log E: failed to mount /cache (invalid argument) E: can’t mount /cache/recovery/last_log E: can’t open /cache/recovery/last_log E: failed to mount /cache (invalid argument) E: can’t mount /cache/recovery/last_install E: can’t open /cache/recovery/last_install… Read more »

paresh
paresh
Reply to  happy singh

Same problem with sparkle v

Nathalie
Nathalie
4 years ago

Thanks for your post. It did not work for me, unfortunately. How do I install the operating system again?

NIKOS
NIKOS

HELLO FRIEND, I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE AFTER INSTALLING WRONG ROM

E: failed to mount /cache (invalid argument)

E: can’t mount /cache/recovery/log

E: can’t open /cache/recovery/log

E: failed to mount /cache (invalid argument)

E: can’t mount /cache/recovery/last_log

E: can’t open /cache/recovery/last_log

E: failed to mount /cache (invalid argument)

E: can’t mount /cache/recovery/last_install

E: can’t open /cache/recovery/last_install

E: failed to mount /cache (invalid argument)
MY PHONE IS A COOLPAD F1.
I CANNOT CONNECT IT , MY PC DOES NOT RECOGNIZE MY DEVICE
PLEASE HELP

Anonymous
Anonymous
3 years ago

Yeah. I know. If i do a flash i will loose my warranty ? ? now i need to wait for a month… In spain people are too slow!

Nathalie
Nathalie

I have a nexus 5 16 Gb bought in June 2013

Rahim
Rahim
4 years ago

THANKS!!! This has got to be the easiest fix I found online! You’re the best Abdullah

Shefali
Shefali

Shefali
Shefali
4 years ago

please see if you can write detailed guide on it.
thanks.

sri
Reply to  Shefali

Hi i got this problem same on my device micromax canvas a1. could u resolved this problem

Shefali B C Baraik
Shefali B C Baraik
4 years ago

i have the same problem but my device is micromax android one , does the procedure change???

Joerg
Joerg
4 years ago

I had exactly the same problem on the Nexus 5 running 6.0.1. I followed the advice and was worried at first as the “mount” command returned an error as well. But I proceeded to wipe the cache – and the phone is now rebooting well. Thank you very much for your help!

Amol
Amol
4 years ago

Thank you. It worked out for me..No need to do factory reset.

Kanchi Gupta
Kanchi Gupta
3 years ago

Do you see any other way?

AA
AA
3 years ago

I have the same problem on Asus Zenfone 5 A501CG, but i am not getting the mount cache partition option in the recovery menu..
Plz help!

Tray Russell
Tray Russell
3 years ago

Worked for me! I wasn’t able to get the phone out of the flying lollipop, and this got it booted and it’s doing an update right now. Thank you!!!

DJC
DJC
3 years ago

Thanks, this worked for me.

Vyacheslav
Vyacheslav
3 years ago

Thanks, this worked for me too.

Zee Barron
3 years ago

hello I have a Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-N5110 PLEASE HELP ME!

Derek
Derek

You made my day !!! Many thx

SoftwareGamers
3 years ago

I have Dell Venue 8 3830, My phone is softbrick from 3 months. Whenever I try to flash my tablet (I am using Fastboot) when Type command ” fastboot flash system system.img.gz ” It says sending files and after few seconds tablet screen becomes black and nothing happens please help me…!!!

Max Mustermann
Max Mustermann
3 years ago

I had the same problem with a nexus 5! /cache wasn’t mountable anymore and thus not delete-able. 🙁 Yet I had the hope that a corrupt /cache might be the reason for the device’s boot loop… In Recovery I unfortunately could not erase /cache using the corresponding menu entry, but fastboot should be able to help! What finally solved this issue for me was to follow guide [1] to get the device connected in fastboot mode to my iMac [2], followed by unlocking and erasing the cache. — $ cd ~/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/ $ ./fastboot devices 0712f42d0592ee04 fastboot $ ./fastboot oem unlock… Read more »

Tony
Tony
3 years ago

Hi I have a nexus 5 and the phone got into this situation after a forced update last night.

I really hate these “force feeding” from google as is always trouble. I need to recover my data at least

I followed your tips, but I don’t see the “Mount the Cache” selection as you said.

Any reason why i don’t see that option?

Please advice,
Thanks in advance

Paulina
Paulina
3 years ago

You are so awesome! I do not believe I’ve read anything like
that before. So wonderful to find somebody with some original thoughts
on this subject matter. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up.
Thiss web site is one thing that’s needed on the web, someone with
a bit of originality!

basha
basha

i 2 have same problem rgarding to zenfone 5 T00J
my catch is also cleared and after restarts my mobile it not opening it strucks in the asus logo while buffering in the starting

sonu
sonu

micromax aq4501 plz help mee

Jatin
Jatin
3 years ago

Thanks. It worked for me. I cleared the cache partition. Though it was still showing error but after 2-3 minutes the option for rebooting appeared and then I could reboot the phone.

Ryan Wood
3 years ago

OMG THANK YOU SOO MUCH YOU JUST SAVED ME FROM BUYING A NEW PHONE (AROUND $800). THANKS SOOO MUCH

Mimmi
Mimmi
3 years ago

It spent a long time to do this but I wiped cache partition completely. Thank you.

Anonymous
Anonymous
3 years ago

I have the same problem on samsung galaxy s3 I don’t want to lose my data what can I do????

Neena
Neena

Hello,
My HTC one M9 is facing a boot loop issue. Tried to do a factory reset but the error ” cant mount cache” came up. The phone does not have an mount cache option in the recovery menu. please help

Anonymous
Anonymous
3 years ago

You sir are a life saver.

Saishyam Menon

Hi I have a karbonn sparkle v ,
I get the same error when i do all the above steps.
E: can’t open /cache/recovery/ last_log…
E: can’t mount cache
E: failed to mount /cache (invalid argument)
But i don’t see the mount system/ cache option in the recovery menu .
Also could you please provide a link from where i can download stock rom for Karbonn sparkle v Android one , if I need to do that!

Please help.
Thanks

Alessandro
Alessandro
Reply to  Saishyam Menon

did u solve? i can’0tt flag/ mount the cache

Thilan kavindu
Thilan kavindu
3 years ago

It does not solve the problem.

James McLaughlin
James McLaughlin
3 years ago

I get to the point of unlocking my bootloader and my phone automatically reboots back to the bootloop spinning dots. It stayed like this overnight and when I set it back to bootloader, it was locked again.

syd
syd
3 years ago

hi man, stil the same after doing what u said, i have tried ADB sideload not workign, i tried cache not woring, i tried mount not working it allreads the same E: failed to mount / cache ( invalid argument)
E: failed to mount / cache / recovery / last-install

Abdullah Akbar Shafi
Reply to  syd

May be your phone is hard bricked.

mpo
mpo
2 years ago
Reply to  syd

did find a solution

Maryse Lapointe
Maryse Lapointe
2 years ago

Thank you so much!!!

Karen
Karen
2 years ago

I have a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 and this didnt work with it. I have tried all of the options in the recovery menu and none work.

Alperen Atur

2 years ago

qmobilez8 bhi y be asy he kr rha h plzz is ka kya kru
qmobile z8 e failed to mount cache invalid argume

dd7rg5
dd7rg5
10 months ago

first method worked! thanks u so much, i flashed cwm ported by me to my smartphone and i was with bootloop and that error, flashed stock recovery, sme errors, i make the first method and worked, sry for my bad english

Reinhard Schäfer
Reinhard Schäfer
9 months ago

Thank you very much for your guide. I´ve tried many things to resolve the issue after falshing twrp in the old method with fastboot erase cache…. you´re guide was the way to the solution. After mounting system (new twrp) and wiping cache it´s today important to reboot into recovery and all runs well. I´ve reflashed my rom and i could use my phone as before. All the best for you.

Kram Nayrb Francisco
Kram Nayrb Francisco
3 months ago

i have the same problem, but it wont work on j7 prime.. do you have another solution to this kind of problem?