Yesterday, I updated my laptop to Windows 10 Home from Windows 7. At first, it was working like a charm but after using it for a while I noticed that the browsing on Windows 10 is very slow. It was taking ages to load a single page. I was really very pissed off and I couldn’t find any solution. After spending hours, I came up with the following solutions that not only fixes the internet speed but it also enhances the internet speed by cutting down the reserved bandwidth of Windows 10 which it keeps reserved for the system apps. Without further ado, let’s move on to the guide on how to fix slow internet after windows 10 update. This guide works if you are running Windows 10 home, pro or education version.

Slow Internet After Windows 10 Update? Here’s the Fix

There are two methods both can be used to fix slow internet on Windows 10. The first method will shut down the peer to peer update process from your PC. In simple words, Windows 10 allows you to download application and system updates from other PC’s connected to the server. It sucks all your internet bandwidth seeding to the other user. The first method is good enough and it worked for me.

Note: This is an old guide, I recently tried it again to solve the same slow internet issue on a friend’s laptop. It still works.

In the second method: we will cut down the bandwidth reserved for the operating system and system applications. Hence, all the internet speed will be available to you for your browsing and other purposes.

Method one to Fix Slow Internet after windows 10 update:

Slow internet after windows 10 update is a common problem. Follow the below steps and see the screenshots to solve slow internet on Windows 10:

• First of all from Start Menu, open Settings. (Type settings in the search bar and it will appear).
  • Now locate and select “Update and Security“.
  • Now in this window, locate and click on “Advanced Options”.
  • In advanced options; Click on “Choose how updates are delivered“.
  • Now Turn off updates from more than one place.
  • You can see the whole process on how to fix slow internet after windows 10 update in the screenshot below.

Slow internet after windows 10 update

Now your system will not work as a seeder for other Windows 10 users. It won’t use your network bandwidth to provide others with updates. This will give a sudden boost to your slow internet speed on Windows 10.

Method 2 to Fix Slow Internet on Windows 10:

Not many of us are familiar with the fact that the windows 10 has reserved 20% of the internet bandwidth for the system applications and operating system. So you can’t consume all your 100% internet connection for browsing and other stuff. In the below steps, I will guide you how to disable this reservation of internet bandwidth for operating system and applications to fix slow internet after windows 10 update. So that you can consume 100% of your internet, it will also help you to tackle slow internet after windows 10 update problem.

• First of all Search for Run in search bar.

Slow internet after windows 10 update

• Type gpedit.msc and press OK.
  • Give permissions. Now a Window will open with the title of Group Policy.
  • Now on right-hand side of the window, you will see Computer Configuration. Click on it.
  • Now Navigate through: Administrative Templates -> Network – > Qos Packet Scheduler – > Limit reservable bandwidth. Open it.
  • Here the default option is not configured. If you don’t configure it and leave it as it is then the system will reserve 20% of total bandwidth for the operating system and applications by default.
  • Click on Enable.
  • Now Change the Value from 20 to 0. (As in the screenshot below).Slow internet after windows 10 update 2
  • Apply and then click OK.
  • Now you will be able to utilize total internet bandwidth for your own use.

Extended Guide for Windows 10 Home, Windows 7 and Home Premium versions:

Microsoft does not provide gpedit.msc file in some versions of windows. This configuration file is not present in the system. You will have to add it yourself.
If you can’t locate gpedit.msc then follow the below steps:

• First, you will have to add gpedit.msc file. For this download this installer. It will install gpedit.msc to your Windows 10 Home edition. (It was compiled by davehc on Microsoft Windows Forum. On that forum, he mentioned that this file is free from copyright and it can be used and distributed. So I have uploaded it on my private cloud. Open the link and click on download through the browser to download it).
  • Once you have downloaded the installer, unzip it and open the Setup.
  • It will install the gpedit.msc file on your system. when its done, don’t click finish. Perform the next step first.
  • Goto C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on your PC and copy “Group Policy”, “GroupPolicyUsers” and “gpedit.msc” (Caution: Make sure you get the right file with correct extension.)
  • Paste the Above copied files in C:\Windows\System32. It will ask for the Administrator’s permissions. Give permissions.
Slow internet after windows 10 update
You are looking for this file in your system.
  • Now you are good to go. Open RUN and search for gpedit.msc and perform the steps mentioned in Method 2.

Conclusion:

If you have any issue regarding the above mentioned two methods, which are meant to solve slow internet after windows 10 update, ask us in the comments. Feel free to seek any kind of help. Also, if this guide helped you out to fix slow internet on Windows 10, let me know in the comments. I hope it will help you guys. As it is a comprehensive and self-implemented guide that worked for me. I was about to move back to windows 7 before I worked out on these methods to fix slow internet after windows 10 update.

Another thing that you guys need to keep an eye on. Keep the updates running on your Windows 10, keep your windows defender and apps updated in order to stay safe from all the malware, that can eat up all your bandwidth.

Notify of
guest

48 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Ewa Krysiak
Ewa Krysiak
4 years ago

Great help, really. Your proposal of these two options shall help many of us to speed up our searches, and it is worth mentioning that the descriptions of how to realise our goal are excellent even for computer illiterates. Thank you so much Abi

EWA J. Krysiak, Warsaw, Poland
ewakrysiak@gmail

Gary Howat
Gary Howat
4 years ago

Followed the instructions under extended guide but when I open gpedit.msc the Group Policy window opens up but there’s no computer configuration in the right hand window, just “MMC could not create the snap in”

Gary Howat
Gary Howat
4 years ago

Which is exactly why I posted in the first place. I followed the instructions to the letter and got the above mentioned result. I was hoping to get a solution otherwise some advice to uninstall it all and I’ll try again?

Gary Howat
Gary Howat
4 years ago

comment image?dl=0

Here’s a screen shot of what I’m talking about

Sandi
Sandi
Reply to  Gary Howat

Hi Gary, I had exactly the same result that you did. Have you managed to find a solution so far? I notice you tried this several months ago and hope that by now someone has an answer.

Denis Joseph
Denis Joseph
3 years ago

Hi i have the same problem as mentioned by Gary Howat. The only change in my case while following your guide was, when i copied the 3 files to sys32 folder it said one of the files is pre existing in sys32. System asked whether i wanted to replace, leave it be or to compare the two. At this point i gave replace option. Hope u can correct the issue.

Aniekan Udoh
3 years ago

It worked for me. Thank you!!!

Leo
3 years ago

Thanks, I was upside down on this. Windows had acted 80% of the bandwidth for itself (not 20%) I was literally getting worse than dial up speeds!

Lawrence
Lawrence
3 years ago

The change in configuration to the bandwidth limitation made no difference whatsoever. I have 5 machines. 3 Windows 10 and 2 Windows 7. The Windows 7 machines connect via WIFI using the full 20 megabits of my connection. The Windows 10 machines connect at about 7 megabits, and one of the machines is wired, not WIFI. It does not better than the WIFI connected machines. I can’t seem to figure out why. Any suggestions? (They’re all connected to the same modem/router.) This happens whether all the machines are connected at the same time, or only one at a time.

Sam
Sam
Reply to  Lawrence

Sadly, I am having the same problem.

Adm
Adm
3 years ago

it says windows cannot find gpedit.msc . when i type it in command prompt…………

Tiara
Tiara
Reply to  Adm

I’m having the same issue. Apparently it’s because Microsoft 10 Home version wasn’t installed with it. You have to download it separately. So annoying!

Swarnim
Swarnim
3 years ago

The second method worked for me…
After I installed anniversary update the net speed became extremely slow.
Tried the second method and saw that default was 80 percent. Turned it to 0 and net I working perfectly fine. Thanks so much.

nick
nick
Reply to  Swarnim

same here

Giuliano
Giuliano
3 years ago

I really need some help… Windows 10 just did a big update that screwed up my audio drivers but I solved that, the problem is the download speed that dropped from 14,50Mbps to 8, and It’s only this pc, I tried to reinstall the Network drivers but it’s still stuck at 8Mbps

Tiara
Tiara
Reply to  Giuliano

Hey the same thing happened to my audio drivers and I don’t know what to do. The sound is so distorted. How did you fix the problem?

Giuliano
Giuliano
Reply to  Tiara

My audio was distorted too, I use the Msi drivers because I have a Msi motherboard with integrated audio chip, I tried to uninstall the audio drivers, reboot the pc, then reinstall them and reboot. If it doesn’t work for you, I recommend to do a Windows downgrade (now you probably have the anniversary update) because this update has many problems… Just google a easy guide on how to downgrade, you won’t lose any data.

Anthea
Anthea
3 years ago

Thank you so much! I used method 2 and this did the trick. I had been going out of mind! 🙂

Peter
Peter
3 years ago

Mine was set to reserve 80% of bandwidth for system. No wonder it was not working. Thank you for the info.

Truly
Truly
3 years ago

So this may be the problem I’m having but the weird thing is that when my computer is connected to the internet, not only its connection is slow as hell- it makes all other devices connected to the same internet slow too!! What do you think about that? I’m at a loss…

Truly
Truly

Thanks so much!

Truly
Truly
3 years ago

Gotcha! I’m not computer savvy in the slightest sense of the word haha… but I did method 1 and 2 and now everything seems fine! Thank you so much!

Mert
Mert
3 years ago

This was really troubling me but in the end your methods helped me a great deal.

Thank you so much!!!

Rhoda
Rhoda

Hi.

I have the same issue of problem. I almost in the edge of throwing my Sony Vaio laptop due to the updates that happen in my laptop. My laptop have all problems from all the software installed it become slow and wifi connection drops. I tried a lot of ways i see in all youtube… I hope this method will work for me. Im crossing my fingers…

Senthil
Senthil
3 years ago

Hey, i tried both the methods that you mentioned here. But the problem is, when i tried the second one, i recieved “MMC could not create the snap in”.
Any suggestions to that problem???

Bob Gutierrez
Bob Gutierrez
3 years ago

Followed your step by step instructions on an HP Paviliom, to the letter and achieved the expected results. The default was a similar 20 as illustrated in your post.
Thanks for relieving me with constant frustration.
Your advice post should be for general circulation.

Peter
Peter

‘gpedit.msc’ does not exist

raghu
raghu
3 years ago

It seems it work for me also…

Dan
Dan
3 years ago

I purchased a new Dell laptop with Windows 10. Every time I turned in on it would slow the internet from 1.5 -1.6 mbps down to almost nothing (.08 mbps.) . I followed both method 1 and 2 above exactly and have had no improvement. My old windows 8 laptop still works great, unless I turn on the new Dell and it kills the internet for every device in the house.

I have no idea what to do now. I guess I could try and return it to the store. ??? Any ideas?

Dan
Dan
3 years ago

It looks like all the updates are done. I double checked to make sure the new settings are still intact. Still the same , internet slows to almost nothing the minute I turn it on.

Kevin
Kevin
3 years ago

Abdullah – thank you very much. You are a star!

I had to install the file and closed the dialogue box before copying the files over. It then did not work and gave an error “token missing”.

I deinstalled from Programs, Control Panel, and manually deleted the two folders and file from the System Win32 folder and reinstalled – followed your instructions exactly…….and bingo!

Appreciated!

Seb
Seb
3 years ago

How to uninstall this after the installation and the copy is complete. What files and folder to delete?

DoubleMaxim
DoubleMaxim
3 years ago

Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open Run box Type regedit in the run box and hit Enter to open Registry Editor In the left panel of Registry Editor, navigate through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to reach: SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Under Windows key, locate a sub key with the name Psched. If it doesn’t exist, right click Windows key and select New to create a Key Name this newly created key as Psched Now right click Psched key to create a New DWORD Value Name this value as NonBestEffortLimit Double click this newly created value to Modify In dialog box choose Decimal… Read more »

RozG
RozG
3 years ago

Hi, Abdullah — I used your cloud link to install SysWOW64, but can’t figure out how to copy those 3 items into System32. (I’m a technoweenie!) How should I do that, please?

RozG
RozG

Hi,

I downloaded the installer, but don’t know how to copy the SysWOW64 items into System 32. Would you please tell me?

Thanks!

تور روسیه
تور روسیه

hi akbar
and thanks for this advises
pls check windows and tell us other ways

my windows using daily 200 mb internet without my premetion

Allen Sarmiento
Allen Sarmiento
3 years ago

Thank you man! It works for me!

Leon Petersen
Leon Petersen
2 years ago

I have a Lenovo i3 Laptop….it came with Windows 8.1 which was FINE….Windows 10 slowed it down too a CRAWL…..the hard drive is constantly busy, as if it’s doing updates….sometimes it’s almost UNUSABLE…occassionally, the screen leaves it’s current screen, to desktop, then it reverts back to where i was…..it’s as if info from my laptop is constantly being gathered, i kid you not….
How does one do a “roll-back’ to 8.1?
However, i have a friend who has an i5, running Windows 10 with NO issues whatsoever…..what exactly is happening?

Brian Miller
Brian Miller
2 years ago

20%? Try 80% !!!!! “By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 80 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default.”

A.E.
A.E.
2 months ago

I just tried it now and found that 80% were reserved for Windows! No wonder my internet was crawling! Now everything is running very fast again. Thank you for the info!