If you are using one of these Huawei phones like the Mate 8, Mate S or Honor, Huawei P9, P9 lite, P9 plus, Huawei P20, Mate 10, Mate 10 lite, P30, Mate 20, Nova 3e, Mate 10 pro, P30, P40 Pro or Mate 20 Pro and running Huawei’s own factory UI called Emotion or Harmony OS. You will miss out on the notifications that should show up on your phone screen in case of any message or alert by the specific application. The following guide will help you to fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphone.
This issue might occur because of the power saving features on Huawei’s EMUI Harmony OS. You probably wouldn’t be getting all the notifications you’re used to on other Android devices such as WhatsApp messages, Facebook alerts or any other push notification.
These notifications include anything from Gmail, Outlook to text messages and even data-based messaging apps like Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Telegram, Viber, Skype, Google Hangouts and more.
If you ran into this problem, we have got a quick and easy fix for you. It will allow you to fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphones. So all the missing notifications make back to your home screen as soon as receive any message or alert. Following guide cover the fix for this problem, and it explains the reason for this missing notifications.
Fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphones:
The major reason for missing notifications from commonly used apps is the default power profile is set only to keep a small list of apps and services running in the background. A battery-saving process that prevents the other applications from performing any activity on the phone unless they are running in the foreground.
Note: If you have a Huawei phone running on the latest EMUI of Android Oreo and Pie, use the next method.
To access this power profiles section and to enable push notifications on Huawei phone, follow the steps below:
- Go to the system settings. (which you can either find in the quick toggles portion of the notification shade by pulling down the status bar on the top part of the screen)
- Scroll down to the Advanced Settings and head on over to the Battery Manager.
- Go to the Protected Apps selection. ( This is what you’re looking for here. This will control what’s allowed to run when the screen is off and what isn’t.)
- From here, you can pick which apps are allowed to run. You’re likely going to want to make sure your email and chat apps are included in the list of enabled apps.
EMUI will let you know which apps are “power-intensive” (That consume more battery power). If those are your favourite apps and you want to receive notifications from that app, you should probably turn it on.
If you’d allow every app on the phone to run all the time in the background, feel free to check the All slider at the top. However, note that this will cause significant battery drain compared to the default values.
Note: If your Huawei phone is having issues with Google sync and the contacts and Gmail is not synced to the cloud appropriately. Then see this guide to fix the problem.
Update (17th August 2018):
Above solution has proved to work for many Huawei smartphones including Huawei Honor 7, Mate 8 and P9 lite. If you are still missing notifications on Huawei. Then try the below method.
- Download and install “Quick Sync Settings” from Google Play Store on your Huawei Phone.
- Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Google -> Enable App-data Sync. Now even when the app is closed, Whatsapp, Facebook, Hangout and all other application’s push notifications will work.
Fix Missing Notification on EMUI 8 or EMUI 9 (Android Oreo and Android Pie version of EMUI)
If your Huawei phone is running on the latest EMUI 9 or EMUI 8. Then the settings to enable background running of a specific app will be found by following the steps below:
- On your Huawei phone. Goto Settings->Battery->Launch->[app].
- In this menu, each app will have a slider; you have to disable it for you to manage the underlying setting manually.
- Now on your screen, you will see a prompt that says “Manage manually“. It will have the following option:
- Secondary launch
- Run in background
You will have to enable Run in Background option of the apps that are not showing notifications or missing notifications when the phone is not in use.
Method 2 to Fix missing push notifications on Huawei P9:
If the above method didn’t work for you, then try the following method. One of our reader who had a similar problem on his Huawei P9 lite. Fixed missing notification on Huawei P9 by performing the steps below:
Go to: Settings -> Apps -> WhatsApp -> Battery -> Keep running after screen off. Enable this, and you are good to go.
Also make sure here that background data is enabled for the apps:
Settings -> Apps -> WhatsApp -> Data usage -> Background Data -> Enable.
Enjoy those relevant notifications again..!
If this guide does not work for you and you are still not getting the notifications, try changing the launcher to Nova. You can download it from the App Store.
If you have any question regarding the guide above to fix missing push notifications on Huawei phones, feel free to ask me in the comments. If you have any confusion regarding any step above, we are here to sort it out for you guys.