fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphones

If you are using one of these Huawei phones like the Mate 8, Mate S or Honor, Huawei P9, P9 lite, P9 plus, Huawei P20, Mate 10, Mate 10 lite, P30, Mate 20, Nova 3e, Mate 10 pro, P30, P40 Pro or Mate 20 Pro and running Huawei’s own factory UI called Emotion or Harmony OS. You will miss out on the notifications that should show up on your phone screen in case of any message or alert by the specific application. The following guide will help you to fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphone.

This issue might occur because of the power saving features on Huawei’s EMUI Harmony OS. You probably wouldn’t be getting all the notifications you’re used to on other Android devices such as WhatsApp messages, Facebook alerts or any other push notification.

These notifications include anything from Gmail, Outlook to text messages and even data-based messaging apps like Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, Telegram, Viber, Skype, Google Hangouts and more.

If you ran into this problem, we have got a quick and easy fix for you. It will allow you to fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphones. So all the missing notifications make back to your home screen as soon as receive any message or alert. Following guide cover the fix for this problem, and it explains the reason for this missing notifications.

Fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphones:

The major reason for missing notifications from commonly used apps is the default power profile is set only to keep a small list of apps and services running in the background. A battery-saving process that prevents the other applications from performing any activity on the phone unless they are running in the foreground.

Note: If you have a Huawei phone running on the latest EMUI of Android Oreo and Pie, use the next method.

To access this power profiles section and to enable push notifications on Huawei phone, follow the steps below:
  • Go to the system settings.  (which you can either find in the quick toggles portion of the notification shade by pulling down the status bar on the top part of the screen)
  • Scroll down to the Advanced Settings and head on over to the Battery Manager.
  • Go to the Protected Apps selection. ( This is what you’re looking for here. This will control what’s allowed to run when the screen is off and what isn’t.)

fix missing push notifications on Huawei smartphones

• From here, you can pick which apps are allowed to run. You’re likely going to want to make sure your email and chat apps are included in the list of enabled apps.

EMUI will let you know which apps are “power-intensive” (That consume more battery power). If those are your favourite apps and you want to receive notifications from that app, you should probably turn it on.

If you’d allow every app on the phone to run all the time in the background, feel free to check the All slider at the top. However, note that this will cause significant battery drain compared to the default values.

Note: If your Huawei phone is having issues with Google sync and the contacts and Gmail is not synced to the cloud appropriately. Then see this guide to fix the problem.

Update (17th August 2018):

Above solution has proved to work for many Huawei smartphones including Huawei Honor 7, Mate 8 and P9 lite. If you are still missing notifications on Huawei. Then try the below method.

• Download and install “Quick Sync Settings” from Google Play Store on your Huawei Phone.
  • Go to Settings -> Accounts -> Google -> Enable App-data Sync. Now even when the app is closed, Whatsapp, Facebook, Hangout and all other application’s push notifications will work.

Fix Missing Notification on EMUI 8 or EMUI 9 (Android Oreo and Android Pie version of EMUI)

If your Huawei phone is running on the latest EMUI 9 or EMUI 8. Then the settings to enable background running of a specific app will be found by following the steps below:

1. On your Huawei phone. Goto Settings->Battery->Launch->[app].
  2. In this menu, each app will have a slider; you have to disable it for you to manage the underlying setting manually.
  3. Now on your screen, you will see a prompt that says “Manage manually“. It will have the following option:
    • Auto-launch
    • Secondary launch
    • Run in background

You will have to enable Run in Background option of the apps that are not showing notifications or missing notifications when the phone is not in use.

Method 2 to Fix missing push notifications on Huawei P9:

If the above method didn’t work for you, then try the following method. One of our reader who had a similar problem on his Huawei P9 lite. Fixed missing notification on Huawei P9 by performing the steps below:

Go to: Settings -> Apps -> WhatsApp -> Battery -> Keep running after screen off. Enable this, and you are good to go.

Also make sure here that background data is enabled for the apps:
Settings -> Apps -> WhatsApp -> Data usage -> Background Data -> Enable.

Enjoy those relevant notifications again..!

If this guide does not work for you and you are still not getting the notifications, try changing the launcher to Nova. You can download it from the App Store.

If you have any question regarding the guide above to fix missing push notifications on Huawei phones, feel free to ask me in the comments. If you have any confusion regarding any step above, we are here to sort it out for you guys.

Notify of
guest

56 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Arun Narayanan
Arun Narayanan
4 years ago

Did all this and it still doesn’t work! 🙁

Reply to  Arun Narayanan

Same here ?

sSharief
sSharief
4 years ago

Clearly this not working. I have 2x P9 Lite phones, the settings is identical but still not receiving any messages except when the phone is being used / unlocked.

Abdullah Akbar Shafi
Admin
Reply to  sSharief

This guide has worked for many Huawei users. May be there is some issue with your phone.

Jason
Jason
3 years ago

Nope not working for me either. I can’t get gmail notifications.

Reply to  sSharief

same problem here with P9 Lite

Abdullah Akbar Shafi
Admin
Reply to  Anonymous

I will test on Huawei P9 Lite and get back to you.

Michele
Michele

Its not working on my phone and I am using P9 Plus.. 🙁

Moe
Moe
Reply to  Michele

I have the same phone and tried all the available instructions
Still nothing
The problem is with certain apps
While I receive whatsapp notifications, the twitter notifications only showd for 2 seconds then instantly disappears
Do you have a similar situation?

Moe
Moe
Reply to  Moe

?

Hp
Hp
4 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I have tried on h7E but it seems not working.

Need your advice. Thank you

wad
wad
4 years ago

I have a P9 lite and after suffering for along time found a working solution, notification works when enabling VPN apps like Opera Max, etc… so thats the only way to get notifications at the moment. In case it’s important i used to get notifications on Wifi my problem was with mobile networks. Hope this helps you guys.

Brian
Brian
4 years ago

This didnt work for me… even tried the updated one… didnt really do it… im on the mate 8 and the only notifications i get are texts and snaps…

At least its a small problem that just annoys me, before this phone i got all my stuff but now… nope

Matthias
Matthias
Reply to  Brian

I’m having the same problem with my Huawei phone. It’s a P8 though.. I already tried everything I guess and the funny thing is, that the issue just comes and goes. I can’t pinpoint a time where it doesn’t work or where it does work. BUT: I won’t install any apps to help the notifications going since I think this is an elementary aspect of a smartphone. I contacted Huawei (Germany) and I’ll hand the phone in. While I don’t think they will fix this (since it is a known problem for years I guess), I have to go that… Read more »

Linz
Linz

Hi.
Tried all the above, no joy.

Then discovered that there is a hidden default setting in the gmail app itself which was preventing notifications!

Go into your settings in the app, and into your account, go to “inbox sound and vibrate” and check.the “notify for every message” option…!

Hope this helps, it worked for me.

pokrak
pokrak

Huawei P9 Lite – working perfect 🙂

MM
MM
3 years ago

Not working on P8 lite, whatsapp notifications do not show up on notification bar and the phone does not vibrate. The phone works perfectly for half the day then, notifications stop getting through, only thing that solves this is restarting the phone, but this only works temporarily, after a while it happens again

Dolf
3 years ago

Hi, This is not working for me. still doesn’t work!

Dolf

Please help me!

Andy
Andy

Hi guys
I have deleted my deezer account by acident on my P9, how can I get it back without going throug tedious of deleting and downloading it again. Is there a easier way???

JRincon
JRincon

Huawei P9…

This didnt work for me

🙁
🙁
🙁

3 years ago

I have p8. This doesnt work at all!!!!! Super frustrating!!!!!!!!

MarioBB
MarioBB
3 years ago

For the people who have this problem, I was have the same problem (P9 Lite)
Go to: Settings -> Apps -> WhatsApp -> Battery -> Keep running after screen off
Enable this, and you are good to go 🙂

Also make sure here:
Settings -> Apps -> WhatsApp -> Data usage -> Background Data
Is enabled

Abdullah Akbar Shafi
Admin
Reply to  MarioBB

Thanks. I am going to Include this in the post..

Jonathan
Jonathan

Any luck with solution? Thanks

Jonathan
Jonathan
3 years ago

Mate 8 with latest emui 5 android 7 update… Same issues here. No luck at all!

3 years ago

I was having trouble with not being notified of text messages on my new Huawei P8 Lite. Then I found a preinstalled app called “Phone Manager” (green icon) that helped me. In the app, go to “Notification Centre” and in there you can access notification settings for all your apps including messaging. It turned out that mine was set to restricted.

Tony
Tony
3 years ago

I have P9 Lite and I tried all the solutions I saw on the Internet. I installed “Push Notification Tester” and when mobile data is being used I always get an error in “Register for Push Notifications”. However, when I use WiFi I don’t get such error. So the problem is related to push notifications when WiFi is off, but I just don’t know what else to try.

Abdullah Akbar Shafi
Admin
Reply to  Tony

Is it running on chinese rom? I mean. Is it chinese variant of P9 Lite?

hassan from egypt
hassan from egypt
3 years ago

download pm plus will apper icon in phone manager (auto lanch apps) and chek to keep apps auto lanch it workin wery realy 😀

Lee-Ann D
Lee-Ann D
3 years ago

Hi guys so I’ve done everything listed here and more however I still struggled with getting my notifications on my lock screen. After many investigations and research lol I will tell you how I got mine to work. You can do the above as well however what you need to do is set your theme to magazine lock. This can be done by going to themes – me – customize and then apply magazine lock. After this, go to settings and go to screen lock and passwords, then enable “show detailed notification Info” (this means it will.show the message details… Read more »

Leonardo
Leonardo
Reply to  Lee-Ann D

Thank you Lee-Ann D you are the real MVP, I could not fix the problem, I felt hopeless, until I saw your comment, it fucking worked dude! thank you very much!.

Helene Kruse
Helene Kruse
2 years ago
Reply to  Lee-Ann D

Hi Lee-Ann, I changed to Magazine lock, on my P9, but I could not find these options: enable “show detailed notification Info” and also enable “notifications turn on screen”
did you do it on a P9 or some other model?

Helene Kruse
Helene Kruse
2 years ago
Reply to  Lee-Ann D

Hi again Lee-Ann, I forgot to tell, that I get most notifications.. but not always.. and that is frustrating.. it is mostly from Snapchat that I miss notifications.. half of the time :-/

Abdullah Akbar Shafi
2 years ago
Reply to  Helene Kruse

Snapchat doesnot have orthodox notification, it is just visual notification no sound.

it works, thank you.

Coco
Coco

It works now thanks

Coco
Coco

it works now fine on my P9 Lite thanks for the help

Ayah Jarrar
Ayah Jarrar
Reply to  Coco

Which way did u try ?? It didn’t work with me

Egzon
Egzon
3 years ago

Well this methods works, but only if you let apps open in background, once you clean the background, none of apps are sending notifications!

Usually in every samsung or Iphone, even if you clean the background opened apps, you will still receive notifications, but in Huawei P9 when you close apps, and clean the background you won’t receive any notifications.

Its perfect smartphone, with perfect futures but this notification thing got me irritated .

I hope someone did found any solution about this notifications thing!

3 years ago

I had this no notification issue, and finally figured it out, my mate 8 has the settings ->sound ->SYSTEM -> “Default notification tone” set to ‘None’, selected one of the tone options, and now it beeps when there is a message. Hope this helps.

J-A
J-A
3 years ago

I’m using Honor 8. Same problem. Nothing seems to work. Whatsapp and fb messenger don’t come through when screen is closed for some time.

3 years ago

Just found that on Mate 8, when you click the Messaging, in More->Settings ->’Ringtones and vibration’, you can switch the vibration which needs to work with the main ‘Settings’ ->Notifications & status bar -> Notifications management -> Messaging configuration.

So if you like your Mate 8 vibrate on message receiving, both settings should have vibration on.

Rohail Naeem
Rohail Naeem
3 years ago

Same problem on my Huawei mate 9. I tried every option but problem still there.
When I uninstall whatsapp and reinstall it, for few days there is no problem, then again it come out of no where.

Leonardo
Leonardo
3 years ago

Lee-Ann D, you are the real MVP your comment helped me a lot! it worked! thank you very much!

WYW
WYW
3 years ago

Hi there! There’s another way to try on P9 lite. Go to “Settings” > “Advanced Settings” > “Battery Manager” > “Optimize” and let the process run. Once completed, scroll down and look for “Auto-sync is turned off”. Turn it on and the Whatsapp, FB Messenger etc. notifications should push through like normal! Good luck!

WYW
WYW

FrazzXR
FrazzXR
3 years ago

After making all these changes on the Mate 9 and Honor 8, it still was not working. What I have found that is needed in addition to the other changes is:

Settings –> Apps –> Settings –> Special Access –> Exempt from battery optimization –> Find your app. click it and set it to allow.

Denitsa Koeva
Denitsa Koeva
Reply to  FrazzXR

this helped me. I had managed to get my Viber and Messenger to push notifications doing all of the above – allowing background data, not closing the app when screen locked but my mail accounts still needed the special access tip. Now they are getting through. I guess it should work as long as I don’t close or restrict the background data, which is smth that I might do by accident 🙂

Moreofme
Moreofme

P9 Plus with EMUI 5.0
my phone work fine with the notifications. however, when I add a user, the user do not get twitter or snapchat notifications. I did everything, still no luck.

any extra suggestion for added user (not main user)?

George
George
3 years ago

Testedt on Huawei LUA-L01.
This only works when the app is running in the background. The fix is that it works when the screen is locked, OK.
But when you kill the apps, it simply doesn’t work!

Ty Moran
Ty Moran
Reply to  George

Same here, and even at that it only works for a few minutes. Wish I would have found all this out before I got this phone…

Sue House
Sue House
3 years ago

Hi new to Huawei Honor 6 my email app is showing mail but when I open it no messages showing . Please help !!

Abdullah Akbar Shafi
Reply to  Sue House

Clear Cache and Data of your Email app from Settings-> Application Manager -> (Gmail or Whichever app you are using for Emails).

robinottawa
robinottawa
3 years ago

Hello Abjullah Akbar Shafi, what does “Boss” mean? Can I ask you a question? It is this – my Honor Note 8 on Nougat and EMUI 5 does not recognise Outlook’s app. I install the Outlook app and it works fine, but when I look at my accounts, it is not there. I wouldn’t care except that because EMUI can’t see it, it won’t sync the Huawei or any other dialer with the Outlook contacts. I’ve always used the Outlook app in Android because it keeps me synced with any changes I make in Outlook on my PC. Have you… Read more »

robinottawa
robinottawa
3 years ago

What a mess. Try this. Try that. Sure. How about trying a different OS. I’m very close to that “solution”.
Honor Note 8